I use Emacs and GnuPG to save my passwords to an encrypted file. I’m really happy with this, as I save the encrypted file in Dropbox, and I can decrypt it across all machines and Operating Systems, and it syncs automatically. My Emacs config looks as follows:
(setenv "GPG_AGENT_INFO" nil)
(setq password-cache-expiry (* 15 60))
(setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t)
Continue reading “Emacs, gpg and pinentry on Mac”
In order to build PostgreSQL from source on my MacBook Pro running El Capitan, I first downloaded the git repo:
git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git
I then built it:
sudo make install
This will install the binaries to the default location of “/usr/local/pgsql”.
I already had a user called “_postgres” in my /etc/passwd file, so I configured to run PostgreSQL as this user:
Continue reading “Installing PostgreSQL from source on my Mac”
It looks like my blog got hacked. I noticed that there were some weird posts related to an essay writing service, which I’ve now deleted. I’m not sure of the attack vector. I had a relatively weak password for my WordPress user, which could have been the entry point. I’ll have a look at the server this weekend and see what I find. At least it’s prompted me to do some work on improving the security on the server and to do some software upgrades. I need to set up the letsencrypt certificates as well.
Apache is still bundled with Mountain Lion, but you can no longer start it using the “Sharing” icon under the “System Preferences” app.
Continue reading “Starting apache on OS/X Mountain Lion”
An easy way to generate a unique, memorable but secure password for each website or service you visit is to apply the following recipe:
Continue reading “Unique, Secure, Memorable Passwords”
Here is a great presentation given by Jason Yan and David Cramer of Disqus fame about how their site was architected in order to scale to handle 75 million comments.
For some reason, when I get onto a client’s network and run /sbin/dhclient on my hacked-together-linux notebook, dhclient gets an IP address via DHCP, but doesn’t update my /etc/resolv.conf with the local name servers, so names don’t get resolved using DNS.
I haven’t figured out a fix for this yet, but a temporary work-around is to have a look at the lease in the /var/state/dhcp/dhclient.leases file. You should see a line like “option domain-name-servers 192.168.94.49;”. Just put that IP address in the /etc/resolv.conf file (ie “nameserver 192.168.94.49”).